San Antonio is a wonderful city year-round, but there’s just something about fall in the city’s Southside, including the downtown district. Summers in the city can become stiflingly hot, preventing many people from fully enjoying the outdoors; however, when fall comes around with its cooler temperatures, the downtown area can truly come to life.
Nearby VIDA, downtown San Antonio features a variety of fall activities to enjoy, many of which are centered around fall holidays or popular public locations in the city. Some have even become staples of the season, popular with residents and tourists alike. Here are some local favorites near and around VIDA to check out this fall season:
- Pearl Farmer’s Market—San Antonio’s own Pearl Farmer’s Market is one of the most popular markets in Texas. You’ll find dozens of unique retail vendors and even more great spots to try some absolutely delicious food. Live music and street performances are common while the market is taking place, and there’s no shortage of friendly people to talk to and downtown sights to take in.
- San Antonio Zoo—The San Antonio Zoo is another ideal place to visit in the fall, after the hottest days of summer have passed and before the chill of winter sets in. If you prefer some holiday-themed fun to add to the wonderful animal exhibits, the zoo hosts seasonal events for Halloween. The Dragon Forest is another popular themed event extending into select weekends through the end of October, featuring medieval-themed exhibits, entertainment, and food as well as 15 dragons throughout the property.
- Trader’s Village Corny Maze—The south side of San Antonio has plenty of fall in store for you as well. Trader’s Village operates its Corny Maze attraction from October 3rd to November 29th. Daring challengers must use their wits to complete this massive, 10-acre corn maze, answering questions of varying difficulty to solve the mystery of Farmer Joe’s disappearance.
- Mission Marquee Plaza: As the only outdoor movie theater in San Antonio fall is the ideal time to visit the Mission Marquee Plaza. Like now-uncommon drive-in movie theaters, the Mission Marquee Plaza displays popular and classic movies in an outdoor space. The Plaza features several events throughout the fall season, including themed movie showings and famers markets.
- Palo Alto Performing Arts Center—The Palo Alto PAC is featuring a number of different plays and entertainment events during the fall months. The Palo Alto drama program boasts over 400 students actively taking part in plays, musicals, and other dramatic productions. Palo Alto’s fine arts program also features public attractions at the PAC, including Música Palo Alto, a choir, jazz, and mariachi performance featuring local guest stars.
No matter which of these fall events appeals to you, VIDA living can help you get the most out of your time in the city. Stay tuned for more news and upcoming events as the year progresses.